One of our sites has the permalinks set up with: /%category%/%postname%/
This worked fine when the site was in English. But then we had to create a Hebrew mirror site and used WPML(aff), which we have a love/hate relationship with.
And then we noticed that the pagination on category archives wasn’t working properly on the Hebrew (secondary) site. When you’d navigate to mywebsite.com/mycategory/page/2 the page said “Sorry, not found”. Not great.
After some searching, I found the No Category Base plugin built for WPML.
And voila! that almost solved the problem. Pagination was working again.
Every time there was a plugin or WordPress upgrade, most of the links on the site broke.
We’d see a browser error that said: “oursite.com page isn’t working. oursite.com redirected you too many times.”
After re-saving the permalink structure, the site would work again, but this didn’t seem like a very good solution, to say the least.
Turns out that there’s a conflict with the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin which we love. In the Yoast plugin under Advanced Settings > Permalinks , the Change URLs needs to be “Keep”, since removing the category base is handled by the No Category Base plugin.
Hope this helps someone 🙂